Planning your trip to Chile is an exciting time to anticipate sightseeing in Santiago, a desert tour in Atacama, or simply basking in the heat with a local delicacy. The last thing to be concerned about while enjoying Chile is whether you’ve packed enough clothes, toiletries, or travel gadgets. To make sure your focus is on fun-here is a list of 25 things to pack for your trip to Chile.
1.Clothes –seems obvious enough. Check the weather for the entire duration of your stay. Anticipate HEAT, even winter in Chile is mild. Bring a mix of fast drying apparel you don’t mind getting dirty along with a formal outfit or two. Depending on how adventurous your trip may be, plan three pairs of shoes: hiking, night out, and local exploration shoes (basic sneaker or flats). Keep it comfy and don’t forget SOCKS.
2. Sunglasses, it will be bright. While you can find them being sold for cheap in the streets of Chile, if you have a sturdy brand you trust, that may be your best bet.
Once you’ve got all your packing done and dusted, it’s time to think about what your going to get up to in this incredible country. Check out this excellent varied selection of activities here to give yourself an idea of what you’d like to get up to in Chile!
3. Sunscreen- I reiterate BRIGHT. Even those “I don’t burn” travelers must be prepared and protected from the rays. SPF 30 and up!
4. Rainproof jacket. It may be dry at times but when it rains- it pours.
5. Identity. It’s always important to be able to prove who you are, but if you’re not comfortable taking your passport out every time you leave your Airbnb, at least keep a photocopy of it in your wallet.
6. Sunhat. Another sun reminder, sometimes glasses won’t be enough, throw a hat or two into your carry-on.
7. Sleep, you’ll want it, so bring an eye mask and ear plugs.
8. Bandaids or even better, a mini first aid kit– ya know…just in case.
9. Energy bars or other dry snacks. Travelling Chile can take a physical toll. Get creative, make your own trek mix, whatever you have to do to stay fueled on the go.
10. Bathing suit. With 6,000km of Pacific Ocean coastline you won’t be able to resist.
11. Colorful scarf. You will most likely dress sporty a majority of the time, no need to forego your inner fashionista- throw on this simple accessory dually used to remove unwanted sweat or dirt.
12. Lip balm! Chile’s Atacama Desert is the driest non-polar place in the world. Heads up!
13. Moisturizer. Your lips aren’t the only bits vulnerable to dryness.
14. Deodorant and toothpaste, basic must-haves, just don’t forget em’.
15. Camera. Live in the moment as much as you possibly can, but some moments and images you’ll want to keep forever.
16. Self-filtering water bottle. No one has time for funny tummy issues while hiking.
17. Pain reliever. Have your Aspirin on hand to avoid a confusing trip to the pharmacy.
18. Contact lens solution, another case in which you may want to stick to the familiar. Keep in mind the dryness of Chile, you may need more than you suspect.
19. Insect repellent. Chili’s Vinchucas “kissing bugs” aren’t as romantic as they sound.
20. Bookbag. You will be able to leave big luggage in your Airbnb room but keep a bag with multiple pockets for your adventures.
21. Money belts are a safe way to carry larger bills on your person.
22. A watch, particularly to keep track of time in your home country. Avoid calling mom at 2am.
23. Music player. Because- music.
24. Friends! Chile is an ideal place to travel with your closest amigos. Share the art, wine, and landscape with your besties.
25. Travel Guide, off the beaten path or typical tourist-KNOW where you’re going and what you’re doing next. If you’re traveling in Latin America, download TheBesty app to book the best tours and activities, discover fun things to do, find the guaranteed lowest prices on hotel bookings- all in Latin America.